Christian Tract: I Want to Pray!
I Want to Pray!
What is prayer?
Prayer is a conversation with God.
- Prayer should be simple (Matthew 6:7)
- Prayer can be private (Matthew 6:6)
- Prayer can be public (Acts 7:59, 60)
- Prayer can include both your needs and those of others (Matthew 6:9-13; James 1:5; 1 John 5:16)
- Prayer comes from our love for God and for one another (1 John 4:7,20)
You don't have to be good enough to pray (Luke 18:9 14)!
You should pray like this:
Our Father in heaven,
Help us to honor your name.
Come and set up your kingdom,
So that everyone on earth will obey you, as you are obeyed in heaven.
Give us our food for today.
Forgive us for doing wrong,
As we forgive others.
Keep us from being tempted
And protect us from evil.
How do I go about praying?
Prayer begins with us realizing that we want to talk to our Father in heaven.
Some basic principles to remember as you pray:
- Ask and you will receive. (Matthew 7:7)
- Our heavenly father may keep wrong things from us for our own good (James 4:1-10).
- God wants to hear us (Isaiah 65:23, 24).
- God wants us to hear Him (Isaiah 66:4).
What if I can't think of anything to say?
- Read your Bible and meditate.
- Find quiet time.
- Listen for God to speak to you.
- Try printed prayers, such as the Lord's prayer (Matthew 6:9-13) or those on the back of this pamphlet.
- Don't be afraid to say what's in your heart-even questions.
What if I'm angry or depressed? Can I still pray?
Yes! Many prayers recorded in the Bible, including the Psalms were
offered in anger or despair (Psalm 22, 1 Kings 19:3-5). Remember, God already knows. He wants you to converse with him and learn and grow. Prayer is not so much about getting things as about learning and growing.
What about answers?
Remember that you are talking with your heavenly father and that He wants what is best for you. He always hears, but He is not always going to do what you say in the time limit you demand. Prayer isn't like an automatic dispenser. It is a discipline that you practice so you can grow.
Can anyone pray? Will God hear?
Anyone can pray. You don't have to be a special person or be good enough. God will hear.
Our LORD, you are true to your promises,
And your word is like silver
Heated seven times in a fiery furnace.
Promises and Scriptures
- Salvation-Acts 2:38,39
- Peace-Psalm 85:8
- Safety-Psalm 46:1,2
- Provision-Matthew 6:31-33
- Temptation-Hebrews 2:18
- Eternal Life-1 John 2:25
- Loneliness-Hebrews 13:5 & Deuteronomy 31:6 & 8
- Justice-Psalm 7:10,11
- Physical & Emotional Protection-Psalm 5:11, 12
- General prayer (Matthew 6:9 13)
- Simple Petition (Luke 18:13)
- Healing (Acts 9:40, 41)
- Healing through Anointing (James 5:16)
- Pray and Work (Nehemiah 4:1 23; 5:1-19; 6:15-17)
- Confession and Repentance (Psalm 51)
- Wisdom (James 1:5-8)
- Blessing (Numbers 6:22-27)
- Worship (Psalm 84)
- Praise (2 Chronicles 20:22)
All scripture quotations taken from the Contemporary English Version, Copyright © 1995 American Bible Society.
Copyright © 2001, Henry E. Neufeld
Taken from the Participatory Study Series